(Print out and give this picture to yourself and as many teachers, speakers, marketers, executives, leaders, parents, married people, and students as you can.)
How I "Widen"...
1. Personally - Actively listen in one-on-one conversations.
2. Socially - Ask people questions (friends and strangers).
3. Technically - Use Google Reader to read 100 blogs, click on my browser's StumbleUpon button periodically and listen to/watch the following podcasts - Ted.com, This American Life, NPR Story of the Day and Fresh Air from WHYY.
How I "Narrow"...
1. Start all my keynote speeches, workshops and blog posts with answering, "what is the big idea/concept here?"
2. Take my own advice and talk/write using the CVS formula (use Concrete, Visual and Simple language).
3. Listen more. Talk less.
(If you need more information on any of these techniques/tools, either Google them, search my blogs or comment back.)